Sunday, November 7, 2010

Holiness in the Man Van

My affinity for our mini-van and the fact that it is the 2010 NHL Edition prompted my wife to call it the "Man Van."  I do love it for many reasons:  Specifically, the smooth ride, the myriad of storage and cup holders, as well as an outlet for my Ipod. 

Well, I can add one more reason as of Saturday, November 6, 2010 from approximately 7:40 am to 7:43 am.  My passenger during this time was none other than Father Frank Morrisey OMI.   He was ordained as an Oblate priest in 1961.  In addition, he was the Dean of the Faculty of Canon Law, University of St. Paul, in Ottawa, Ontario,  the Executive Coordinator Canadian Canon Law Society and the Consultor for the Pontifical Council for the interpretation of legislative texts to cite a few of his accomplishments.  Today he still enjoys worldwide repute in the field of Canon Law and has been known to offer canonical assistance to dioceses rocked by the sexual abuse scandals. 

Why was he in my van you ask?  He was to present at a course of which I am enrolled.  I got to class early and noticed him in front of the building not knowing that he could not get in through that particular entrance.  I passed him by to the other side and was not really sure who he was at first.  I turned the van around to ask who he was and offered to take him to the appropriate entrance.  He accepted my invitation and introduced himself as Frank.  For a brief three minutes I had the most holy person that I have ever met in my van. 

His presentation revolved around the differentiation between "catholic work" and "the work of Catholics."  He broke down the analysis into legality, values and commitment using canon law.  Have you ever been to a presentation where you could literally sit there and listen all day?  This was one of them.  I was in awe of his presence, knowledge, reverence and common sense.  He cited that the canons are essentially a compromise for over 1 billion Roman Catholics and that "law follows life .....life doesn't follow the law."

A classmate asked him what type of students we should be preparing for post-secondary life.  He cited that they should be individuals who promote faith, justice, peace, integrity of life, critical thinking and care for our ecological resources.

He left us with one thought to ponder.  Do we have public schools that are Catholic or Catholic schools for the public in Ontario?

Looking forward to your thoughts and comments. This Friday, November 12th is a P.A. Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment