Sunday, November 21, 2010

Facebook.....I have three friends!


Well I did it!  I have entered the vast world of Facebook. 

Why?  In short, to keep tabs on my two oldest daughters.  I had concerns but have reluctantly allowed them access to a world that could cause more harm than benefit if not cautious.  As a prudent parent, I did my best to make sure they were informed as they entered this digital arena.

So....my daughters have been to facebook presentations held at our school over the last few years. Chris Vollum, who has seen his business boom in the area of safeguarding students on facebook and twitter, has presented at our school and many other secondary and elementary schools around the province.

Chris has taught our students and staff how to set their privacy settings to protect themselves from unwanted scrutiny. 

As I have alluded in a previous blog about 21st Century Learning Skills, it is important that our children embrace social networks such as facebook to foster their digital literacy which, whether the Baby Boom and Generation X demographics would like to admit, will be an essential skill in the 21st century economy.

Through education, trust....and parenting....we need to allow them access to such conduits and hope that they make good choices.  Shutting them out will only force them to go online around our backs on school library computers, iPads and other digital technology.

Who is the third friend?  My wife, of course.

Thanks for reading.  We have created a new Parent Engagement link on our public website.  Take a look and let me know what you think.  It is a work in progress.  www.ctk.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment