Sunday, June 19, 2011

Clarence Clemons - January 11, 1942 - June 18, 2011


You either love Bruce Springsteen or are indifferent towards him and his music.  I have loved Bruce for over 25 years.  I have all of his music and a bevy of magazines and books dedicated to him and his talented band mates.  I am the fan that would have collected outtakes of his music going back 40 years.  I have a thorough knowledge of all of Springsteen's band mates.....most notably Clarence Clemons.

Why Clarence?  I have seen Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band live in concert on several occasions. His concerts are simply second to none in my opinion. Bruce's interplay with Clarence in concert has been legendary.

Despite Clarence's tremendous talent and his seminal contributions to Bruce's music throughout the years, I have always been most touched by the trust, loyalty, compassion, care and camaraderie between Clarence and Bruce: A friendship that exceeded 40 years.

I am unable to think of a better example of a true kinship between two human beings.

You can imagine how I felt when I noticed this message on CNN this past Saturday evening.

Legendary rock saxophonist Clarence Clemons died Saturday of complications from a stroke, band mate Bruce Springsteen said. He was 69.

Clemons had played sax in Springsteen's E Street Band off and on since 1972.

"Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage," Springsteen said in a statement.
"His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly 40 years. He was my great friend, my partner and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band."

So....on this day...Father's Day.....Clarence has  left behind four children.  I have been examining my own mortality, my friendships and the love for my wife and children. 

While I never met Clarence, I felt that I really knew him through Bruce's music, his part in it, and the love he and Bruce had for one another.

May God bless his soul.

Thanks for reading.  Looking forward to your comments

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to thank you for you blog posts. I read them weekly and at times feel compelled to add a comment. Just thought I'd let you know that you have an avid reader out there. Thanks,and have a wonderful summer.

    ReplyDelete