Sunday, April 17, 2011

"Inside the Sin Bin"....there is an app for that!


This Sunday's edition of the Toronto Star had a very interesting article on how Catholics rush to confession to cleanse their souls.

The feature writer, Mary Ormsby, goes into great detail regarding the origins, history, sequence and purpose of confession.

Catholics are expected to make a confession at least once a year.  The practice has dropped off dramatically as many priests would concede.  However, Easter represents a time for renewal and brings with it many Catholics who have the need to participate in the sacrament of reconciliation.

I do get a sense of relief and re-birth after going to confession.  I am not sure if that is a result of meeting the standards of the Catholic Church, my Italian mother, or coming to terms with my own conscience.

What caught my eye in this article is that there is an app for helping one prepare for confessions!  For some reason I was not surprised.  I downloaded it for $1.99 onto my iPad. 

The app allows me to customize the examination of my conscience by adding sins, traking time of my last confession and choosing from seven different Acts of Contrition.

Here is the article if you are interested.

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/article/975909--confession-the-inside-view

Thanks for reading.  Looking forward to your comments.  As an aside, mid-term reports will be distributed this Thursday, April 21, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment