Saturday, February 5, 2011

Shepherd Leadership


Isn't this photo from LIFE worth a thousand words?!  It inspired me to mention a book that I have recently read.
 
Specifically, our board has embraced a book called Shepherd Leadership that gleams the wisdom for leaders from King David's Psalm 23. 

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want;
He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters;
He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of my enemies; thou anointest my head with oil, my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

The authors, Blaine McCormick and David Davenport parse each verse and draw leadership analogies to how a shepherd tends to its flock and how a leader interacts with those that are under his/her charge.

I will refrain from citing all the key messages from this book because I hope that you will read it.  However, I will touch upon one key message which alludes to the picture and to the most important function that we have as educators for our children.

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me."

We are behooved to lead and protect our disenfranchised and/or wayward students with courage and compassion so that we not only role model for them but nurture the resiliency required to effectively meet life's challenges.

Thank you for reading.  Looking forward to your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment