Saturday, December 11, 2010

Happy Holidays? Happy Solstice?


I know it is Christmas time when Advent is upon us.

I know it is Christmas time when my neighbourhood is illuminated at night with a symphony of lights and decorations.

I know it is Christmas time when every other commercial on TV is marketing some product to purchase for a loved one.

I know it is Christmas time when I hear Bing Crosby singing White Christmas in shopping malls.

I know it is Christmas time when the topic of political correctness rears its ugly head:  Most notably, over the issue of what we should proclaim during this very special time as Christians.

We have always been a nation of considerate people letting everyone celebrate their special holidays as their customs and beliefs dictate without interference. That freedom has always been one of this country's greatest attractions. Why, so many are asking, is it now that those of Christian beliefs are not afforded the same freedom of Christmas expression?

So in a very bold statement....

....on behalf of our family at Christ the King Catholic Secondary School....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

“The food you have stored away belongs to the hungry.
The unworn garment in your wardrobe belongs to the naked.
The gold you have hidden away belongs to the poor.”

(St. Basil)

My next blog will be posted January 2nd, 2011.  

1 comment: